Frequently Asked Questions

How can I receive immediate housing? How do I apply?
The Housing Authority of the City of Austin does not provide immediate housing. At this time the housing authority is accepting applications for the public housing program. Once an application is filled out, applicants are placed on a waiting list according to the date and time of their application, size of the unit for which they qualify (public housing only) and local preference for which they may qualify. For immediate temporary housing, please contact the Salvation Army.
Where am I on the waiting list?
The waiting list is updated monthly on the HACA Web site. You may download the latest Wait Lists at
I have a voucher and I want to move to Austin. Whom do I contact?
Call the portability counselor in the Housing Choice Voucher Department at (512) 477-1314 Ext. 1342 or To fax information, send it to (512) 494-0686.
Do you have a program for Homeownership?
HACA does have a Homeownership/Down Payment Assistance Program. The program provides a maximum loan of $10,000 on a first come, first serve basis to residents who meet the criteria. Residents must be a first time home buyer or cannot have owned a home in the last three years. A minimum of $2,500 must also be contributed toward the down payment, closing cost or reserves. Residents must then qualify for a first lien mortgage and have received first mortgage financing from a private financial institution. Lastly, a HACA-approved home buyer training course must be passed. To learn more or download an application, visit
I want to be a landlord on the Housing Choice Voucher Program (formerly known as Section 8). How can I list my unit?
The first step in renting your property to a Housing Choice Voucher participant is to review a property owner checklist and complete a rental listing form. The rental listing form allows the Housing Authority of the City of Austin to get information about your vacancy to advertise it to our clients who are moving. Once HACA posts your listing, clients will then contact you about renting your property. You will show them the property and conduct your normal screening process in selecting a tenant. If you decide to lease to an assisted client, they will give you their moving packet to complete, which includes some forms that will get you set up as a vendor in our program and an inspection form that allows HACA to come out and approve the property. To see more information about the process, please visit If you have further questions, contact the landlord outreach specialist, at
What are the HQS standards for HCV (S8) inspections?
Download the HQS checklist.
What are the current utility allowances for the HCV (S8) Program?
View the current utility allowances.
What is the HACA policy on Community Service and Self Sufficiency Requirements?
Download the current HACA policy on Community Service and Self Sufficiency Requirements.

To view .pdf files, you need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.

Get Adobe Reader