HACA has money for your education
The cost of furthering your education can seem overwhelming. Paying to attend college or a trade school is not as difficult as you may think. There are many resources available. The key is to plan ahead.
Scholarships are exclusively for public housing and Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) residents.
The Austin Pathways HACA Scholarship
The Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) Board of Commissioners established the HACA Resident Scholarship in 2001 for the benefit of all HACA Public Housing Residents and Housing Choice Voucher participants planning to attend an higher education institution. The scholarship was renamed as the Austin Pathways HACA Scholarship in 2015.
View the HACA Austin Pathways Scholarship application.
The scholarship serves as a vehicle of hope to individuals who have a desire to further their education but lack the adequate financial means to accomplish this goal. The scholarship is designed to inspire these individuals to work toward becoming independent and economically self-sufficient members of the community.
Applicants for a scholarship must be:
Note: If you are currently attending or attended a post-secondary school previously, you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or greater (transfer credits are not considered in this GPA).
Note: Individuals who qualify can apply for both the resident and family scholarships (available for children of employees only) but will only be awarded one scholarship if selected.
2017 Scholarships & Deadlines
Scholarships are exclusively for residents of HACA public housing or the Housing Choice Voucher program.
Public Housing Authorities Directors Association Scholarship
In order to encourage excellence and community responsibility among high school students, the Public Housing Authorities Directors Association (PHADA) has implemented a scholarship program for graduating seniors who are preparing to enter college. PHADA will award three scholarships to deserving youth currently residing in aPHADA member agency.
Download the PHADA Scholarship Program Award Packet (PDF) for details.
Applications are due to PHADA by January 27, 2017. All documents must be typed in English. No handwritten applications will be accepted. Mail all required materials to:
PHADA Scholarship Committee
511 Capitol Court, NE
Washington, DC 20002-4937
2017 TXNAHRO Scholarship
TXNAHRO provides scholarships each year to deserving high school seniors, graduating in the Spring following the application deadline on January 31, 2017, and who are currently living with their families as Public Housing or Section 8 program residents. (Click here to apply)
Available scholarships are one (1), $2,500 Jim Hargrove Schlolarship, and eight (8) $1,000 scholarships.
Applicants for TXNAHRO Scholarships must:
- Be a resident of public housing or a participant in the Section 8 program in which you are living.
- Be a graduating high school senior. (You can not have graduated in the previous year or be in college already for this scholarship. It is intended to help high school seniors get started immediately in college).
- Demonstrate exceptional school attendance.
- Demonstrate high academic achievement.
- Demonstrate leadership and/or high level of motivation.
- Be a resident of a Housing Authority/ or Community Development (CD) agency that is a member of TXNAHRO.
Applicants are required to submit the following items:
- Housing Agency Certification signed by the Executive Director of the housing agency in which you reside. (Click here to download form)
- Transcript or certified copy of grades with grade point average and scale used - whether 4 pt. scale, 5 pt. scale, etc., class rank/size, proficiency test scores (TAKS, etc., whatever standardized testing system is used and ACT and/or SAT scores, if taken). It is very important to include all the above information so that all scholarship applicants can be evaluated on the same criteria.
- TWO letters of recommendation; one from a community leader and one from a high school instructor.
- One (1) recent photo (if a professional photo is not available, even a cell-phone selfie will be accepted, if a better quality portrait is unavailable). This is very important for the awards ceremony!
Southwest NAHRO Scholarship
These scholarships have been established by the membership of Southwest NAHRO to provide the opportunity for students associated with public assisted housing to take advantage of post high school educational opportunities that otherwise may not be possible. Any unused portion of a scholarship may, at the discretion of the Scholarship Committee, be awarded a student exhibiting outstanding accomplishment. Application deadline: February 17, 2017 (Click here to download more information)
Austin Pathways HACA Scholarship
The Austin Pathways HACA Scholarship is funded by the Southwest Housing Compliance Corporation, a HACA subsidiary. The scholarships are available on a competitive basis, and the award amount varies from year to year, depending on the availability of funds. Application deadline: March 10, 2017 (Click here to download the application packet)
Other Scholarship Opportunities:
** The date and submission address on the online application may be different because these applications require certification from HACA to be valid.**